Coding style guide and best practices for back-end
Coding style guide and best practices
OSRD application is split in multiple services written in several languages. We try to follow general code best practices and follow specificity for each languages when required.
- Explain what you’re doing and why.
- Document new code with doc comments.
- Include clear, simple tests.
- Break work into digestible chunks.
- Take the time to pick good names.
- Avoid non well-known abbreviations.
- Control and consistency over 3rd party code reuse: Only add a dependency if it is absolutely necessary.
- Every dependency we add decreases our autonomy and consistency.
- Don’t reinvent every wheel: As a counter to the previous point, don’t reinvent everything at all costs.
- If there is a dependency in the ecosystem that is the “de-facto” standard, we should heavily consider using it.
- More code general recommendations in main repository CONTRIBUTING.md.
- Ask for any help that you need!